Additional Learning Support

The Learning Support team at Hopwood Hall College are here to help you if you have a learning difficulty, disability or any other learning support needs. The team offer a responsive support service and tailor support to make sure that it meets your individual needs.  

Learning Support students travel to London in Support of the BSL bill.

Our team is always on hand to help you reach your potential and help you make the best start to college life possible. They provide invaluable assistance to learners who have specific support requirements, such as: 

  • Learning difficulties and/or disabilities (eg: ADHD, ASD) 
  • Blind and partially sighted learners 
  • Deaf learners and those with hearing impairments 
  • Learners with a physical disability or mobility needs 
  • Medical conditions 
  • Social Emotional Behavioural Difficulties (SEBD) 

We advise that you take up the opportunity to talk to a member of our Learning Support Team when you visit any of our school leaver open events so that we can be sure to offer you the support you need at the start of your journey. 

Please also let us know on your application form if you have any specific needs so that we can ensure a member of the team is present at your interview to help plan your support. 

Talk to us

We advise that you take up the opportunity to talk to our Learning Support Team when you visit our School Leaver Open Events so that we can be sure to offer you the support you need at the start of your journey.

Counsellor uses sign language to communicate with student

Also, please let us know on your application form if you have any specific needs so that we can ensure a member of the team is present at your interview to help plan your support.

The early identification of your individual learning support needs could be the key to your success, if you have a learning difficulty or sensory impairment that has been identified in the past such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, autism or dyscalculia, have a Statement (SEN)/ EHCP or have been in special education then we can help you.

Specialist Support

If you have a sensory impairment, we have Learning Support Assistants and Communication Support Workers who are specifically trained to meet the students’ needs, including British Sign Language Communicators. If you have a physical disability, we have a dedicated team of support staff who are experienced in supporting learners in wheelchairs and are trained in using specialist equipment including hoists.

Exam Support

If you have had support for your exams in the past such as a reader, scribe or extra time, or your tutors observe that you require this; our fully trained assessors can determine your eligibility and provide the support accordingly.

Assistive Technologies

We have various assistive technologies at Hopwood Hall College which enable you to access your learning including adapted keyboards, eBooks, touch screen devices and the facility to incorporate mobile devices into your learning. We also use Read&Write software which is particularly useful for supporting SEN learners as well as students who have English as an Additional Language or those with a mild visual impairment. 

Hard of hearing student using technology to study

In addition, we have the ReciteMe toolbar embedded within the college website to help ensure accessibility to college information for all. It allows our website visitors to customise the site in a way that works best for them.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you are reading this as a prospective student at our University Centre then please note that we will also assist you in applying for support in the form of the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) which is a government-funded scheme to help with the costs associated with needing additional support. You can read more about this here: How We Support You – Hopwood Hall College and University Centre.

Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP)

If you have Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP), our Learning Support Team will plan the support that you require at college, subject to Local Authority commissioning. The types of support we offer are:

• In-class learning support

• Out of class sessions for social and study skills

• Mobility support

• Fully equipped personal care rooms at both campuses

• Specialist resources and equipment

• Modification of learning materials

• Meet and greet and lunchtime support

• Transitional support

• Exam access arrangements

For students who do not have an EHCP but have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities, then Learning Support will work with you to produce a personalised support plan outlining the support you tell us you need at college. You are expected to provide supporting evidence of your learning need e.g. medical report, diagnostic evidence, to help college to support you.

Transition to Hopwood Hall College and Attendance to EHCP School Reviews

The Learning Support Team will support your transition to college in readiness for the start of your course. If you are applying to study at Hopwood Hall College, you can choose to invite a member of the Learning Support Team to your Year 11 EHC Annual Review at school.

Counsellor working with student

They will be able to explain what courses we offer and how you will be supported before you start and during your time at college. You can also come and speak to the Learning Support Team at the College Open Day Events and they will be able to tell you about the support we can offer.

Learning Support work with new students at the dedicated New Starter Experience. Schools and individual students can also request personalised visits and tours. The types of support we offer:

• Attend Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) meetings and reviews (if applicable)

• Support at interview (if requested)

• Support planning to establish what we need to do

• Transitional support

Initial Assessment

Once you have told college about a learning need and/or disability on your application form, Learning Support will contact you, your school or current provider to discuss your support needs and requirements.

You will have the opportunity to meet with one of our Learning Support Coordinators who will discuss your learning needs and how to best support you. Once you have started your course, we will further assess the level of support required by speaking to you and your tutors.

Annual Reviews

If you have an EHCP, each year you will have an Annual Review, which takes place at college in person or remotely. At your review there will be yourself and family members/ carers, staff from the college and other professionals.

The purpose of the meeting is to discuss your progress at college, what is working well, what you might require supporting with and your aspirations for the future.

Hearing impaired students uses technology to study

Exams Access Arrangements

Will you be requesting the same exam support as you have had at school? If so, you will need to provide a copy of one of the following from your previous school or centre of learning before we can review access arrangements:

• Form 8 report

• Access Arrangements Online (AAO) approval

• Centre File Note

• Confirmation of your previous exam access arrangements (on letter headed paper or an email from previous school/centre of learning)


The deadline for you providing this evidence is October half-term. Please contact your school or previous centre as soon as possible.

Counsellor working with student

Middleton Campus
Rochdale Road, Middleton
Manchester, M24 6XH
0161 643 7560
Rochdale Campus
St. Mary’s Gate
Rochdale, OL12 6RY
01706 345 346