Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Professional CookeryApply Now
These courses are designed for those who wish to pursue a career in the hospitality and catering industry. Culinary and service skills will be developed in our contemporary licensed Riverside Restaurant, college bistros and workshops in our new training and
bakery kitchens, alongside theory classes which will underpin your development preparing you for employment in the industry. You will have the opportunity to gain lots of hands-on work experience providing you with an ideal start to your career in catering.
The Level 2 course will build upon your cookery and service skills demonstrating competence in preparation, cooking and finishing processes, professional food & beverage service including gueridon work and service theatre. The Diploma in Professional Cookery is for anyone who works or wants to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector or alternatively follow a food service pathway and become a front of house operative. There are many careers for successful students at all levels with the skills acquired at college enabling you to move into a range of catering positions
Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery
In order to begin this course, students need to have achieved 4 GCSEs grade C/4 or above to include English and Mathematics. Prior relevant industry experience or a Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery may also be required.
Topics on this course include:
- Preparation cooking and finishing of fish dishes
- Preparation cooking and finishing soups, stock & sauces
- Preparation cooking and finishing of meat dishes
- Preparation cooking and finishing of poultry dishes
- Preparation cooking and finishing of vegetable dishes
- Principles of preparing cooking and finishing basic pastry products
- Maintain a safe hygienic environment
- Customer care
- Health & Safety and teamwork
- Taking payments
- Prepare and clear tables for service
- Serving food at the table
- Provide a silver service
- Provide a buffet carvery service
- Prepare and clear the bar
- Serve alcoholic and soft drinks
- Prepare and serve cocktails
- Prepare and serve wine
- Prepare and serve hot specialist drinks
There are no specific work experience placements, however, the cooking takes place in our fully equipped training kitchens, which are the largest in the North West.
Upon completion of this course, learners will progress into employment, with possible careers in: Pastry chef, chocolatier, contract catering manager, assistant hospitality
manager, commis chef, junior chef de partie or bar supervisor.