Student Safety Officer - Fixed Term (July 2021)
Hopwood Hall College are seeking a highly motivated Student Safety Officer who will be able to ensure learners are safe at college and to support their wellbeing and care. To also ensure staff, visitors and college premises are kept safe and secure.
To ensure learners are safe in college and to support their wellbeing and care.
To ensure learners, staff, visitors and college premises are safe and secure.
To ensure in the safety and security and care of College users and the protection of the facilities.
- Developing a positive and supportive connection with learners prioritising the safeguarding and wellbeing of all students.
- Participating in training on safeguarding matters.
- Monitoring and reporting student behaviour in line with college values in common areas, including the smoking area, promoting positive behaviour and intervening to challenge bad behaviour.
- Identify and manage learner behaviour using a nurturing approach to engage and deescalate situations with young people in a non-confrontational manner.
- Supporting the management of incidents with the Safeguarding team including taking statements and reviewing CCTV footage in the event of an incident. Completing incident forms as required.
- Support with the management and control of incidents involving staff, learners, customers and visitors as instructed and specified in procedures e.g. emergency evacuation, dealing with a hostile and challenging situation, business continuity management, managing road traffic accidents and making the area safe.
- Maintaining the health, safety and welfare of College employees, learners, visitors and customer by controlling and managing student behaviour, preventing unauthorised access, removing trespassers from the premises, protecting people from harm/injury, hazard spotting and reporting, removing hazards that may cause harm to others, coordinating safe evacuations, supporting the implementation of policies e.g. no smoking policy;
- Provide good customer service to College staff, students, visitors and customers, by assisting with queries, providing direction, supporting the enrolment process, supporting staff to manage student behaviour in the classroom.
- Patrolling the College grounds and buildings to provide a visible and reassuring security presence. Protecting the College assets (buildings, cash, equipment, resources) from malicious damage or theft;
- Ensuring that there is no smoking on site apart from in the smoking area and, as far as possible, preventing students from smoking in non-designated areas
- Being available to search students for prohibited items, in accordance with the College’s search protocol.
- Helping to ensure that students and staff carry ID badges at all times.
- Watching for unauthorised visitors on site, challenging if it is safe to do so and reporting as necessary.
- Being aware of student wellbeing and seeking assistance for distressed or unwell students, as appropriate.
- Responding to first aid or other emergencies as required, including assisting with directing emergency vehicles on site.
- Monitor driving and parking on campus and address dangerous driving incidents, recording details of illegal, dangerous and inconsiderate parking on campus, carparks and around the environment.
- Ensuring that incidents and near misses are reported, particularly where there is a health and safety risk.
- Representing the College within the local community, liaising in a constructive manner with local residents, and ensuring that students are not causing a nuisance outside the College.
- Contributing to the elimination of unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation; advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Support the process of regular Fire Alarm testing as specified in testing procedures, under the instruction of Health and Safety.
- Any other duties as reasonably directed by the college.
SALARY SCALE: Scale Point 28 - £24,446.71 pro rata, per annum
HOURS OF DUTY: 45 hours per week
CLOSING DATE: 28th September 2020
Use our online portal to apply