HNC Electrical and Electronic EngineeringApply Now
The course is for those who are currently in employment but aspire to promotion at professional engineer level. Graduates of this course may move onto a Level 5 (HND) course. As a graduate you will be competent in both electrical and electronic engineering design and analysis.
Awarding body: EDEXCEL
Award: BTEC HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (QCF)
Normally you would be expected to have one of the following:
- BTEC National Diploma or Extended Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installation
- GCSE Grade C in Maths and English
- Consideration will be given to mature students with extensive experience in the electrical and/or electronics industry to check suitability for this course
This is a part-time course over two years. A range of assessment methods are employed on the course, including written assignments, practicals, oral questioning, case studies and examinations. Employers and universities require this range of assessment to confirm your ability to solve various types of problems, both individually and as a team member.
The course is made up of both compulsory units, which all learners undertake, and specialist units that enable you to study particular areas in depth.
- Analytical methods for engineers
- Engineering science
- Electrical, electronic & digital principles
- Programmable logic controllers
- Electrical power
- Measurement and testing
Employers place a high value on individuals who possess a BTEC Higher National. Completion of this course can lead to joining the 2nd or 3rd year of a university honours degree. This qualification can also lead to recognition from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Engineering Council, both of which merit letters.