To facilitate the learning process by supporting staff and students in an effective learning environment.
- 1.To provide direct support to teaching staff by maintaining and promoting lively working environment and practices.
- 2.To work with and ensure that staff and students have access to horticulture rooms, workshops, greenhouses, growing areas and equipment as required.
- 3.To prepare and assist in activities ensuring all materials and equipment are prepared in readiness for practical sessions and retrieved after the activity has ceased.
- 4.To maintain and repair specialist equipment and be responsible for the security of equipment and tools.
- 5.To assist with the supervision of students working on practical work and during their work placement on site and assisting the lecturers with the assessment of practical activities.
- 6.Contribute to internal verification and assessment procedures for horticulture courses.
- 7.Assist in the planning of crops and flowers at the two sites.
- 8.Maintain breeding nurseries, greenhouses, and arable land
- 9.To be responsible for the day to day care of all the plants within the Centre for Life Sciences.
- 10.To oversee the Horticulture Apprentices whilst working on site and designate the workload
- 11.Be responsible for ordering requisitions and storekeeping
- 12.To ensure that plant material required for classes is available with consultation with horticulture teachers
- 13.To operate equipment such as sprayers, rotavator,, seed cleaning equipment, seed counters, harvesters, irrigation equipment, pruning tools and tractors etc.
- 14.To assist in the planning of growing programmes both for sustainability and food sources.
- 15.To maintain all horticulture areas within Life Sciences to include the internal horticulture rooms
- 16.To assist with the maintenance with borders and ornamental plantings on both campuses
- 17.To ensure that accurate records of plants and materials are kept
- 18.Ensure continuous development and improvement of professional knowledge.
SALARY SCALE: £14,505 - £18,253 pro rata per annum
HOURS OF DUTY: 28.8 hours per week
CLOSING DATE: 12/10/2017
Use our online portal to apply